End-to-end solutions based on SAR/Galileo
Several research projects supported by the EUSPA under Horizon Europe are creating end-to-end solutions based on the SAR/Galileo service and leveraging its Return Link.
- HELIOS: The Orolia-led Helios project is developing the next generation of distress beacons by leveraging multi-constellation GNSS, including the Galileo Search and Rescue Service, as well as the MEOSAR system of Cospas-Sarsat. In the scope of the project, the Consortium aims to commercialise ELTs, EPIRBs and PLBs to improve the search and rescue activities in the air, at sea and on land. An objective that has already been realised following the launch of an upgrade to the McMurdo FastFind 220 and Kannad SafeLink Solo PLBs. The project is also contributing to the assessment of potential RLS evolutions. In particular, HELIOS has completed a successful pilot project on remote ELT-DT activation, contributing to aircraft distress tracking. Learn more.
- SINSIN: The SINSIN project, which builds upon the results of the SAT406M project, aims to develop an enhanced Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) with an embedded EGNSS receiver and leveraging the latest Medium-Earth Orbit Local User Terminal (MEOLUT). This wrist-watch PLB, complying with the Cospas-Sarsat standards, will significantly reduce the localisation of anyone in a distress situation by a factor of 10. Learn more.
- GRIMASSE: The GRIMASSE project is developing tailored beacons and an operational concept based on Galileo SAR to improve SAR detection and response to general aviation aircraft and helicopters in distress situations. The project is developing a cost-effective ELT-DT for general aviation that is easy to plug into the aircraft with minor or no alterations required. It is also building SWIM applications to optimise the exchange of SAR information by RCCs and their responsiveness. Learn more.
In addition, 5 Fundamental Elements projects have been funded to include the RLS in new commercial beacons offered by leading manufacturers:
- TAUCETI, led by OROLIA, is developing a new ELT-Survival;
- iSSAR, led by ECA Aerospace, is developing a new ELT-DT;
- AMETRINE, led by Syrlinks, is focusing on a new PLB;
- PHOENIX, led by Ocean Signal, is developing a new PLB;
- COBALT, led by Marine Rescue Technologies, is developing a new PLB.