Position-based Services for Utilities Maintenance teams
Background & Objectives
The project team has significant expertise in utilities, workforce management, in-car navigation systems and high-precision positioning techniques.
Why this project is important for EGNOS/GSA/SatNav?
POSSUM offers a complete system to support utilities maintenance teams using the high precision positioning offered by EGNOS. The system offers the possibility of integration with an inertial navigation system.
POSSUM shall deal with the following themes, among others:
- Management of vehicular and pedestrian mobility for utilities maintenance teams;
- Application of inertial methods for positioning anywhere;
- Support of utilities' survey activities;
- Display of graphical geo-referenced information related to maintenance activities.
POSSUM shall contribute to the professional use of innovative GNSS systems as well as of GNSS ground-based augmentation systems in positioning-based service applications.
POSSUM will also contribute to identifying and resolving all obstacles to the adoption of innovative GNSS systems in the identified market for a more efficient penetration of these technologies in the target field.
The POSSUM project will analyse all the business potential of the identified application and will put in place all the conditions for the rapid commercialisation of a real product by identifying all the elements for a clear go-to-market approach.
How does it work?
POSSUM offers four macro-services for maintenance teams:
- Service 1 “Workers on call and mobile team management"
- Service 2 “Positioning without GNSS satellites visibility”
- Service 4 “Best route for maintenance intervention”
- Service 5 “Survey of maintenance intervention”.
Based on the results achieved, the project team will implement the system (detailed design, implementation and integration), and will carry out a validation campaign.
Work performed & results
At this project stage the team has performed many surveys in order to understand the stakeholders' needs, define user requirements, determine the state of the art of technologies and products of interest for POSSUM, and to generally study the project's feasibility.