In addition to the resources provided through Research and Development funds such as Horizon Europe, Fundamental elements, and other specific calls for proposals through grants and procurement, EUSPA reaches out to innovators across segments and generations by supporting a range of dedicated activities.
The key objective is to promote the development of applications that create demand for EU Space programmes while providing economic and social benefits, and fulfilling the user-driven mission of EUSPA and the need to ensure that European industry maintains a competitive edge in the global space applications marketplace.
EUSPA is leading a series of initiatives to boost the opportunities for space start-ups to succeed thanks to technical and business support, and to accelerate their growth and scale-up by attracting more private investors. These include:
- MyEUspace Competition: The objective of the competition is to support the development of innovative commercial solutions - such as mobile apps or hardware-based solutions for example wearables, asset management and tracking solutions, robotics etc. - that are leveraging EU Space data from Galileo and/or Copernicus. Find out more here.
- Hackathons: EUSPA regularly co-organizes 1-2-day hackathons on different topics to generate high-value actionable business ideas and product concepts. Currently EUSPA is supporting the EC Cassini Hackathon which is open for applications. Past hackathons include: Act in Space Hackathon,
- Space for your App Hackathon, SpaceTech2017 Hackathon, 2nd Galileo Hackathon, 1st Galileo Hackathon
- Competitions: The EUSPA competitions challenge participants to turn an innovative idea/prototype into a commercial product. These competitions propose challenges around diverse application areas and usually last from 6-12 months. EUSPA competitions are not just a prize but an acceleration programme to companies, a process that leads to growth. Past competitions: MyGalileoApp, MyGalileoSolution, MyGalileoDrone, Geomatics on the Move.
- Development programmes: As a follow up activity, EUSPA offers technical support to startups via the so-called development program. During these 2-3-month programs startups have access to online courses provided by experts in key areas such as: Entrepreneurial Management, GNSS, Earth Observation, Emerging Technologies or Application Development. Companies interested in such program are requested to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Experts interested to contribute to this initiative can register here.
- Networking initiatives: Supporting the relationship-building between entrepreneurs and industry, EUSPA recently launched Space Crossroads, a series of online events where to discuss on how space can inspire entrepreneurs and start-ups, enabling new ideas to scale up. The series feature contributions from industry leaders, experts and investors who share their space experience to the audience. The format is designed to provide valuable networking opportunities and Q&A time. Companies that have needs that can be covered by space data and would like to connect with our start-up community are invited to contact us at email@example.com.
- Investors events: In recent years, EUSPA was able to build a large network of startups involved in the development of innovative solutions. Some of these technological startups are looking for funding to help them evolve through their lifecycle. In this regard, EUSPA is planning to organize and support in cooperation with Cassini program, regular events to connect startups with investors willing to provide financial support. Investors interested to make part of this initiative are invited to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.