The Galileo system, once fully operational, will offer six high-performance services worldwide:
- Open Service (OS): Galileo open and free of charge service set up for positioning and timing services. In the future, the Galileo Open Service will also provide Navigation Message Authentication, which will allow the computation of the user position using authenticated data extracted from the navigation message.
- Open Service Navigation Message Authentication (OSNMA): Free access service complementing the OS by delivering authenticated data, assuring users that the received Galileo navigation message is coming from the system itself and has not been modified.
- High Accuracy Service (HAS): A service complementing the OS by providing an additional navigation signal and added-value services in a different frequency band. The HAS signal can be encrypted in order to control the access to the Galileo HAS services.
- Public Regulated Service (PRS): Service restricted to government-authorised users, for sensitive applications that require a high level of service continuity.
- Search and Rescue Service (SAR): Europe’s contribution to COSPAS-SARSAT, an international satellite-based search and rescue distress alert detection system.
- Commercial Authentication Service (CAS): A service complementing the OS, providing a controlled access and authentication function to users.